Next week, many members of the GovLab team will be in London for the annual summits of both the Open Government Partnership and the Open Data Institute, TechCamp London, and a Thompson Reuters roundtable on “Zombie Data.”. It has been a year since our inaugural meeting in London, so it is particularly exciting to be heading back across the pond with many new programs in tow.
At ODI, we’ll be highlighting our Open Data 500 initiative: our study of how governments’ open data has fed the growth of an entire breed of new companies. We are still looking for submissions to our list of 500 open data-driven companies, so make sure you submit your company or recommend a company for consideration.
At the Open Government Partnership, make sure to find us (in Room 3/10, on the third floor) and learn more about The GovLab Academy – our free online community teaching and learning how to open government and work collaboratively to solve public problems. Next week, we’ll be launching Open Gov Stories, a project that captures the voices of innovators from government, civil society, the tech industry, the arts, and academia talking about their work in open government and how it has helped improve real people’s lives. While at OGP, we want to find and film compelling stories of specific projects that have had a positive impact on communities, individuals, or entire countries.
If you have a story to tell or would like to arrange a time to meet with a member of the GovLab team, please email us.
Here’s where to see representatives from GovLab speaking:
Thompson Reuters Roundtable – “Zombie Data: Has open data failed to live up to its hype?” – Monday, October 28, online
- Stefaan Verhulst and Joel Gurin will participate. This event will be live-blogged, and viewers can ask questions of participants here.
- Session One (9:30am – 11:00am): Following the opening keynote, Beth Noveck will join a fireside chat with ODI co-founders Sir Tim Berners-Lee and Nigel Shadbolt, chaired by the BBC’s Bill Thompson
- Open Government and Public Health in the UK (11:00am – 12:30pm): Stefaan Verhulst will speak as a panelist.
- Open Contracting (11:00am – 12:30pm): Beth Noveck will speak as a panelist.
- Harnessing Data to Drive Citizen Engagement (11:00am – 12:30pm): Joel Gurin will speak as a panelist.
- Open Data Working Group (2:45pm – 4:00pm): Beth Noveck will speak as a panelist.
TechCamp London – Thursday, November 1 at the OGP Summit and Friday, November 2 at the Ernst and Young Building
- Members of the GovLab team will be participating in this event. RSVP here.