The Governance Lab (the GovLab) is excited to announce the search for a talented communications professional to play a central role in helping translate and make relevant the various activities of the GovLab to a diverse and broad audience of practitioners, policy makers, academics, and the general public.
Based at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering, the Governance Lab is a research, training and experimentation laboratory that focuses on improving people’s lives by addressing real world challenges through institutional redesign.
The ideal candidate for this position will be a clear thinker, speaker and writer who can work with the leadership team to develop and distribute materials supporting the organization’s strategic objectives. S/he will employ a wide range of tools and tactics to ensure information reaches target audiences with measurable impact.
The GovLab not only seeks to be a leader and innovator in how to conduct action-research, it also wants to innovate how to communicate effectively and meaningfully. This new position is therefore expected to help us experiment with new communications techniques and will help us “walk the talk” as we are advocating for data driven and collaborative ways of approaching challenges.
Reporting directly to Senior GovLab leadership, the position serves as a key GovLab ambassador, building strong relationships with intermediaries, including the media, and major stakeholders; will be tasked in developing and implementing a communications strategy for the GovLab’s data program, including projects such as Data Collaboratives, Open Data’s Impact, Open Data for Developing Economies and Open Data 500; and will be responsible for the enhancement of the GovLab’s social media presence, developing content for website(s), initiating a targeted audience strategy, and managing a fully integrated dissemination plan for various projects of GovLab’s data program that includes speaking engagements, onsite and offsite events, leveraging networks and fundraising when needed.
- Manages the development and production of all print and electronic media including communications materials, such as press releases, blogs, and newsletters;
- Develops content for information brochures; reviews and edits drafts of correspondence, reports, and brochures for mass distribution; drafts articles and reports on the status of major initiatives for distribution to various audiences;
- Develops and implements an annual communications plan – especially as it relates to GovLab’s data program;
- Generates online content that engages readers; coordinates webpage maintenance to ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, events) is posted regularly;
- Develops and manages a distribution list of relevant organizations/individuals;
- Manages all media contacts;
- Manage communications surrounding product launches and events promoting GovLab’s work.