By Participation Working Group @ London Summit on Re-Thinking Government, Re-Imagining Democracy
Factors influencing the effects of more participation:
- How can participation be most effectively defined and measured?
- Who participates?
- How many people participate?
- Through what channels do they participate?
- What type of participation?
- What types of factors influence whether or not more participation is better? For example:
- The technology used to enable participation?
- The task required of participants?
- The issue for which participation is requested?
- The environment surrounding the participant?
- The framing of participation?
Factors leading to more citizen participation:
- In assessing the impact of participation, what conditions do we optimize for, and how do we measure them?
- What conditions lead to more participation of what types?
- How does information influence participation levels?
- How does technology influence participation levels?
- How do cognitive styles impact participation?
- What institutional arrangements impact participation levels?